Canvas For Parents
In an attempt to assist all students and parents with staying on track with assignments and lessons, HMSA has implemented a new Learning Management System called Canvas. Parents have access to Canvas through the Parent Observer role. Observers have limited permissions that will allow them to see what is going on in a course and the calendar of assignments. Like students, Observers cannot view a course until it is published and the course has started. After creating a Canvas Account, parents have two ways to view their child’s course information, either through the Canvas web page and/or through the Canvas App.
Instructions for creating an account and pairing with your student:
Step 1: Have your Student generate a Pairing Code
1. Have your student log into their Canvas account
2. Choose Account and then select Settings
3. Click Pair with Observer and write down the pairing code to use on your account
Step 2: Set up you Parent Account
2. Click the link that says “Parent of a Canvas User?
3. Complete the following information: name, email and password (8 characters minimum) and reenter the password
4. Enter the student pairing code your student generated
6. Click “Start Participating”
Step 3: Adding additional students:
1. In your Parent account go to settings
2. Choose Observing
3. Enter the pairing code and choose +student button
Observing your Student
1. On the mail Dashboard, you will see the Courses in which your student is currently active.
2. Click on the course title and you will see the content available to you and your student
Parent App Canvas Parent App is available on iOS and Android mobile devices. The Parent App has a blue logo. (There are separate apps for students and teachers.)
You can view an introductory video with instructions on setting up your account and pairing by using this web address https://www.youtube.com/embed/t-5sWZODhY8?feature=oembed
Click on the image to download instructions in PDF: